Tuesday, September 12, 2017

Martha White Mexican Style Cornbread & Muffin Mix



On a scale of 1 - 10 I rate this product a 10+

For years I've enjoyed the cabbage and Mexican cornbread that was served by K & W Cafeteria near my home.  Well, they closed!  I would order the same thing every time, so much so  that the line lady didn't even ask what I wanted.  I would always order 'Mexican cornbread on a plate, topped with a double order of cabbage and juice spooned over the bread until it was soggy.'  This was my normal, delicious order.  I had no idea where I would, nor if I would, ever find my favorite dish with them no longer there.

I've tried several recipes for Mexican cornbread and never seemed to find the right taste.  I don't normally use mixes so when I spotted the Martha White Mexican Style Cornbread.  After checking the ingredients I found it had no sugar, I don't like sweet cornbread, so I decided I would give it a try.  What did I have to lose.  The directions were simple - 2/3 cup milk (I used buttermilk) and 1 egg.  And the calorie count was only 130 calories per serving (don't know what the buttermilk added) but since I was only eating the cornbread and cabbage it couldn't be too bad for me.

I have to tell you right off.  This mix is delicious!  The buttermilk gave it a flavor that was even better than K & W's.  One of the ingredients was jalapeno peppers giving it just the perfect heat.  It didn't have the whole corn but that was ok since there wasn't that much in K & W's so it wasn't missed.  And the price is around $1.00 for the package!  This has now taken the place of my K & W Mexican cornbread that I can now make anytime I want and enjoy.

No comments:

Post a Comment