Thursday, August 11, 2011

Audio Books


On a scale of 1 - 10 I give Audio Books a 6

This past week I traveled from NC to FL for my book release.  Since its a 10-11 hr. drive one way and I was traveling by myself, I decided to give Audio Books a try.  I was a little unsure at first.  Driving, watching traffic, watching signs and listen to a book?  Would it really work or distract me?  I waited until I got onto my 1st interstate that would take me my 1st 100+ miles, inserted my 1st disk and started listening.  It took about 10 minutes for me to get use to "multi-tasking" but after that I was fine.  I could actually watch my driving, traffic, signs and listen all at the same time.  Actually it was probably safer than having a passenger because you didn't have to talk.  The 3 book sets that I bought came from Books a Million from the reduced bin costing me about $6.00 for each 5 disk set.  That isn't too bad when you consider the cost of a new book plus the time that's required to stop everything and read.  Also, I was able to find some of my favorite authors...Patterson and Deavers.  All in all this is a great way to pass the time while driving alone.

Why didn't I give them a higher rating?  All 3 sets of books are read by men changing their voices for different characters.  Well, the books did have women characters too and the men just couldn't quite get it for me as they tried to change their voices to compensate for a more girlish voice.  I really think they would be more enjoyable if the books were read by 2 people, one man and one woman.  There may even be some out there that use both but that was not the case for the 3 that I bought.  If it had been I would probably have given them a 10.

No comments:

Post a Comment