Thursday, February 27, 2014

Spanakopita - Plats du Chef, Inc.


On a scale of 1 - 10 I rate this product a 20!

I have to tell my introduction to this product for you to see just how much I love it.  Our condo complex had an after Thanksgiving lunch where everyone brought a dish.  One of my neighbors brought 2 trays of what she called Spanakopita.  I could tell it was some form of spinach (which I'm not a big fan of) wrapped in Phyllo Pastry (which I love).  Being nice I decided to try a wedge and being hungry I decided to take a bit as I was walking back to my seat.  That first bite delayed me from putting my plate down because I stood there eating this delicious little triangle.  Then it hit me.  There are a lot of people here and there are only 24 of those little bites.  I went back to the serving line and got another.  Apparently most of the people who knew spinach was a major ingredient didn't opt to give them a try, but that was ok with me.  When the meal was over there were 6 triangles left.  I had brought desserts and had 1/2 a pecan pie left over to take home.  I made a deal with our HOA president who is a friend and also loves the Spanakopita almost as much as I did.  She could have the pecan pie (which is another favorite of mine) if I could have the last 6 Spanakopitas.  She thought about it for a minute and agreed.  Needless to say, they didn't make it through the night.

The neighbor who introduced these goodies to us said she didn't make them.  She goes to Costco where she buys them in boxes of 4 trays with 12 in each tray.  I'm not a Costco member but she is kind enough to pick up a box for me when needed.  I did spot a Greek store in our neighborhood that carries Spanakopita and bought a box. Not the same!  Their's had an overpowering dill flavor.  These have the perfect blend of spinach, feta cheese and spices (no dill) giving them the perfect flavor.

I'm still not a big spinach lover but I do have to control myself.  They come in their own little baking tray that you simply put in a 400 degree oven for about 20 minutes, let them stand for 5 minutes (and that's hard to do without taking a bite while waiting) and enjoy.  I do have one problem with these tasty bites.  I tell myself that I'll only eat 6 at the most but unless I bag up the other six and put them in the refrigerator quickly I'll eat them all.  I even find myself getting up at night, when there are leftovers, grabbing one from it's container and eating it cold.  Yes they are that good.  So spinach lover or not, give these a try and I think it will change your mind too.

No comments:

Post a Comment